Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using our website. By accessing or using any part of our website, you agree to become bound by the Terms of this Agreement. If you do not agree to all the Terms of this Agreement, then you may not access or use any of our website’s services. Certain features of the Site may be subject to additional guidelines, terms, or rules, which will be posted on the Site in connection with such features. All such additional terms, guidelines, and rules are incorporated by reference into these Terms. If these Terms are considered an offer by Backpacking Series, acceptance is expressly limited to these Terms.
Our website’s services are not directed to children. Access to and use of our website is only for those over the age of 13 (or 16 in the European Union). If you are younger than this, you may not register for or use our services that require an account. Any person who registers as a user or provides their personal information to our website represents that they are 13 years of age or older (16 years or older in the European Union).
Section 0: Requirements and Relationship
- Your relationship to Backpacking Series is that of an independent contractor, and neither party is an agent or partner of the other. These Terms, and your rights and obligations herein, may not be assigned, subcontracted, delegated, or otherwise transferred by you without Backpacking Series’ prior written consent, and any attempted assignment, subcontract, delegation, or transfer in violation of the foregoing will be null and void.
Section 1: Accounts
- For you to use certain features of the Site, you have to start an account and provide information about yourself. You warrant that: (a) all required registration information you submit is truthful, up-to-date and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information. You may request deletion of your account at any time by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. At it’s sole discretion, Backpacking Series may suspend or terminate your account without prior notice.
- You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account login information and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your Account. You approve to immediately notify Backpacking Series of any unauthorized use, or suspected unauthorized use of your Account. Backpacking Series cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with the above requirements.
Section 2: Access to the Site
- Subject to these Terms, Backpacking Series grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, revocable, limited license to access the Site solely for your own personal, noncommercial use.
- The rights approved to you in these Terms are subject to the following restrictions: (a) you shall not sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Site; (b) you shall not change, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of the Site; (c) you shall not access the Site in order to build a similar or competitive website; and (d) except as expressly stated herein, no part of the Site may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means unless otherwise indicated, any future release, update, or other addition to functionality of the Site shall be subject to these Terms. All copyright and other proprietary notices on the Site must be retained on all copies thereof.
- Backpacking Series reserves the right to change, suspend, or cease the Site with or without notice to you. You approve that Backpacking Series will not be held liable to you or any third-party for any change, interruption, or termination of the Site or any part.
- You agree that Backpacking Series will have no obligation to provide you with any support in connection with the Site.
- All the intellectual property rights, including copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets, in the Site and its content are owned by Backpacking Series. Note that these Terms and access to the Site do not give you any rights, title or interest in or to any intellectual property rights, except for the limited access rights expressed in Section 2. Backpacking Series reserve all rights not granted in these Terms.
Section 3: User Content
- “User Content” means any and all information and content that a user submits to the Site. You are exclusively responsible for your User Content. You bear all risks associated with use of your User Content. You hereby certify that your User Content does not violate our Acceptable Use Policy. You may not represent or imply to others that your User Content is in any way provided, sponsored or endorsed by Backpacking Series. Because you alone are responsible for your User Content, you may expose yourself to liability. Backpacking Series is not obliged to backup any User Content that you post; also, your User Content may be deleted at any time without prior notice to you. You are solely responsible for making your own backup copies of your User Content if you desire.
- You hereby grant to Backpacking Series an irreversible, nonexclusive, royalty-free and fully paid, worldwide license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display and perform, prepare derivative works of, incorporate into other works, and otherwise use and exploit your User Content, and to grant sublicenses of the foregoing rights, solely for the purposes of including your User Content in the Site. You hereby irreversibly waive any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to your User Content.
- We reserve the right to review any User Content, and to investigate and/or take appropriate action against you in our sole discretion if you violate the Acceptable Use Policy or any other provision of these Terms or otherwise create liability for us or any other person. Such action may include removing or modifying your User Content, terminating your Account, and/or reporting you to law enforcement authorities.
- If you provide Backpacking Series with any feedback or suggestions regarding the Site, you hereby assign to Backpacking Series all rights in such Feedback and agree that Backpacking Series shall have the right to use and fully exploit such Feedback and related information in any manner it believes appropriate. Backpacking Series will treat any Feedback you provide to Backpacking Series as non-confidential and non-proprietary.
Section 4: Acceptable Use Policy
- You agree not to use the Site to collect, upload, transmit, display, or distribute any User Content (i) that violates any third-party right or any intellectual property or proprietary right; (ii) that is unlawful, harassing, abusive, tortious, threatening, harmful, invasive of another’s privacy, vulgar, defamatory, false, intentionally misleading, trade libelous, pornographic, obscene, patently offensive, promotes racism, bigotry, hatred, or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual; (iii) that is harmful to minors in any way; or (iv) that is in violation of any law, regulation, or obligations or restrictions imposed by any third party.
- In addition, you agree not to: (i) upload, transmit, or distribute to or through the Site any software intended to damage or alter a computer system or data; (ii) send through the Site unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any other form of duplicative or unsolicited messages; (iii) use the Site to harvest, collect, gather or assemble information or data regarding other users without their consent; (iv) interfere with, disrupt, or create an undue burden on servers or networks connected to the Site, or violate the regulations, policies or procedures of such networks; (v) attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Site, whether through password mining or any other means; (vi) harass or interfere with any other user’s use and enjoyment of the Site; or (vi) use software or automated agents or scripts to produce multiple accounts on the Site, or to generate automated searches, requests, or queries to the Site.
Section 5: Intellectual Property Policy
- Backpacking Series reserves all rights on the Site’s Copyright/Trademark Information. All trademarks, logos and service marks displayed on the Site are our property or the property of other third-parties. You are not permitted to use these Marks without our prior written consent or the consent of such third party which may own the Marks.
- Backpacking Series respects the intellectual property of others and asks that users of our Site do the same. In connection with our Site, we have adopted and implemented a policy respecting copyright law that provides for the removal of any infringing materials and for the termination of users of our online Site who are repeated infringers of intellectual property rights, including copyrights. If you believe that one of our users is, through the use of our Site, unlawfully infringing the copyright(s) in a work, and wish to have the allegedly infringing material removed, the following information in the form of a written notification must be provided to the designated Grievance Officer:
- your physical or electronic signature;
- identification of the copyrighted work(s) that you claim to have been infringed;
- identification of the material on our services that you claim is infringing and that you request us to remove;
- sufficient information to permit us to locate such material;
- your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the objectionable material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or under the law; and
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are either the owner of the copyright that has allegedly been infringed or that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
- Please note that any misrepresentation of material fact in a written notification automatically subjects the complaining party to liability for damages, costs and attorney’s fees incurred by us in connection with the written notification and allegation of copyright infringement.
Section 6: Entering a Contest, Publishing a Post, Reviewing a Book, or Taking an Interview
The following applies to all users seeking to publish on Backpacking Series, review a book by Backpacking Series, or to enter a contest.
- Contributors must submit original stories only (not published anywhere else)
- A submission is subject to quality checks and does not guarantee publishing
- Only published articles are eligible to earn badges or to win contest prizes
- No cash equivalent will be offered in substitution of contest-prizes or badges earned
- All submissions must follow our minimalist submission guidelines
- All contest-related entries must follow the submission dates (when specified)
- Backpacking Series reserves the right to edit your article/s and to replace or omit images
- Backpacking Series reserves the right to remove or retain all published content on its site
- Backpacking Series reserves the right to change or alter the rules, method of submission and/or method of earning badges / prize(s) without prior notification
- Promotions run by Backpacking Series on 3rd party social media platforms (such as but not limited to Facebook or Twitter) are not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with said third parties
- The decisions of Backpacking Series shall be final as to all submissions including those made for contests
Section 7: Third-Party Links & Ads; Other Users
- The Site may contain links to third-party websites and services, and/or display advertisements for third-parties. Such Third-Party Links & Ads are not under the control of Backpacking Series, and Backpacking Series is not responsible for any Third-Party Links & Ads. Backpacking Series provides access to these Third-Party Links & Ads only as a convenience to you, and does not review, approve, monitor, endorse, warrant, or make any representations with respect to Third-Party Links & Ads. You use all Third-Party Links & Ads at your own risk, and should apply a suitable level of caution and discretion in doing so. When you click on any of the Third-Party Links & Ads, the applicable third party’s terms and policies apply, including the third party’s privacy and data gathering practices.
- Each Site user is solely responsible for any and all of its own User Content and conduct with other users. Because we do not control all User Content, you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for any User Content, whether provided by you or by others. You agree that Backpacking Series will not be responsible for any loss or damage incurred as the result of any such interactions. If there is a dispute between you and any Site user, we are under no obligation to become involved.
- You hereby release and forever discharge the Backpacking Series and our officers, employees, agents, successors, and assigns from, and hereby waive and relinquish, each and every past, present and future dispute, claim, controversy, demand, right, obligation, liability, action and cause of action of every kind and nature, that has arisen or arises directly or indirectly out of, or that relates directly or indirectly to, the Site.
Section 8: Our Advertising Partners
Amazon(affiliate association suspended since July 2018)
Section 9: Disclaimers and No Liability
- The site is provided on an “as-is” and “as available” basis, and Backpacking Series and our suppliers expressly disclaim any and all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express, implied, or statutory, including all warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, quiet enjoyment, accuracy, or non-infringement. We and our suppliers make no guarantee that the site will meet your requirements, will be available on an uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free basis, or will be accurate, reliable, free of viruses or other harmful code, complete, legal, or safe.
- You agree to indemnify and hold Backpacking Series and its officers, employees, and agents harmless, including costs and attorneys’ fees, from any claim or demand made by any third-party due to or arising out of (a) your use of the Site, (b) your violation of these Terms, (c) your violation of applicable laws or regulations or (d) your User Content.
- In no event shall Backpacking Series be liable to you or any third-party for any lost profits, lost data, costs of procurement of substitute products, or any indirect, consequential, exemplary, incidental, special or punitive damages arising from or relating to these terms or your use of, or incapability to use the site even if Backpacking Series has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Access to and use of the site is at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your device or computer system, or loss of data resulting therefrom.
Section 10: Terms and Termination
- These Terms will remain in full force and effect while you use the Site. We may suspend or terminate your rights to use certain or all features of the Site at any time for any reason at our sole discretion, including for any use of the Site in violation of these Terms. Upon termination of your rights under these Terms, your Account and right to access and use certain features of the Site will terminate immediately. You understand that any termination of your Account may involve deletion of your User Content associated with your Account from our live databases. Backpacking Series will not have any liability whatsoever to you for any termination of your rights under these Terms.
Section 11: Jurisdiction
Section 12: Grievance Officer
- In accordance with the Indian Information Technology Act 2000 and rules made there under, the name and contact details of the Grievance Officer are provided below:
Mr. Abhijeet Deshpande
IB#14, Kasliwal Marvel (West), Satara Parisar, Beed By-Pass
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our website’s services, to communicate with you, or to make our website’s services better. We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our website’s services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a backpackingseries.com account to provide first and last names, a username and email address–and that’s it.
- Public Profile Information: If you publish with us or agree to publish reviews of our products anywhere on the internet, we collect the information that you provide for your public profile on the Dorm of Fame™, The Dialogue Diaries™, and/or The Rave Terminal™. For example, if you have a backpackingseries.com account, your photograph is part of that public profile, along with any other information you put into your public profile, such as links to your social media profiles, blogs / websites, or a short description about yourself. Your public profile information is just that–public–so please keep that in mind when deciding what information you would like to include.
- Private Contact Information: This applies to users in India only. To fulfill our promise of sending rewards to contest-winners, we require you to provide your complete mailing address and a current cellphone number. This information helps the delivery folks do their job!
- Content Information: Depending on the website’s services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in draft and published content or as comments to an existing post. For example, if you write a blog post, take an interview, or make a comment that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the Internet if you choose to publish the post publicly. This might be obvious to you…but it’s not to everyone!
- Communications With Us (Hi There!): You may also provide us information when you communicate with us via live chats, emails, respond to potential surveys, or post a comment / question on our published articles.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our website’s services. For example, we collect information about the actions that site administrators and users perform on a site using our website’s services–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site (e.g., [backpackingseries.com username] deleted “[title of post]” at [time/date]). We use this information to, for example, provide our website’s services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our website, so we can make our website better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our website from certain geographic regions.
- Interactions with Other Users’ Sites: We collect some information about your interactions with other users’ sites while you are logged in to your account with us, such as your “Likes” and the fact that you commented on a particular post, so that we can, for example, recommend posts we think may interest you.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
- When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
- Please refer to the table below for the types of cookies that we use.
|Category of cookies||Why we use these cookies|
|Strictly Necessary||These cookies are essential for websites on our services to perform their basic functions. These include those required to allow registered users to authenticate and perform account related functions to, such as, but not limited to, save the contents of virtual “carts” for an ecommerce functionality.|
|Functionality||These cookies are used to store preferences set by users such as account name, language, and location.|
|Security||We use these cookies to help identify and prevent potential security risks.|
|Performance||Performance cookies collect information on how users interact with our websites, including what pages are visited most, as well as other analytical data. We use these details to improve how our websites function and to understand how users interact with them.|
|Marketing / Advertising||These cookies are used to display relevant advertising to visitors who use our services or visit websites we host or provide, as well as to understand and report on the efficacy of ads served on our websites. They track details such as the number of unique visitors, the number of times particular ads have been displayed, and the number of clicks the ads have received. They are also used to build user profiles, including showing you ads based on products you’ve viewed or acts you have taken on our (and other) websites. These are set by trusted third party networks, and are generally persistent in nature.|
|Website Analytics||We make use of third party applications and services to collect and transmit visitor / usage data to their servers. Such applications and / or services do not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data collected and transmitted. We use reports provided by such applications and services to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage. We have no direct control over the information that is collected by these cookies.|
|Third Party / Embedded Content||We make use of different third party applications and services to enhance the experience of website visitors. These include social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter (through the use of sharing or social login buttons), or embedded content from Youtube and Vimeo. As a result, cookies may be set by these third parties, and used by them to track your online activity. We have no direct control over the information that is collected by these cookies.|
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you create or log into your backpackingseries.com account through another service (like Google), we will receive information from that service (such as your username and basic profile information) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available. We may also get information, such as a mailing address, from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users (…but we hope will be!), which we may use, for example, for marketing and advertising purposes like postcards and other mailers advertising our services.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our website’s services–for example, to set up and maintain your account, setup your public profile on the Dorm of Fame™, The Dialogue Diaries™, and/or The Rave Terminal™;
- To further develop and improve our website’s services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our website, which helps us improve our website and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition–for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased our product/s after receiving a marketing message;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our website, protect the security of our website, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Backpacking Series and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our website;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions offered by Backpacking Series and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on our website’s services and products; and
- To personalize your experience using our website, provide content recommendations, target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example, those in a certain geography), and serve relevant advertisements.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Backpacking Series, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our website’s services and we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
- Published Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via an email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like your public profile on the Dorm of Fame™, The Dialogue Diaries™, and/or The Rave Terminal™, posts you publish on backpackingseries.com, and your “Likes” and comments, are all available to others–and we hope you get a lot of views! For example, the photo that you upload to your public profile, or a default image if you haven’t uploaded one, is your Globally Recognized Avatar, or Gravatar–get it? :). Your Gravatar, along with other public profile information, will display with the comments and “Likes” that you make while logged in to your backpackingseries.com account. Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
How Long We Keep Information
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue. We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to Backpacking Series and investigate issues if something goes wrong. As another example, when you delete a post, page, or comment, it stays in your Trash folder for thirty days just in case you change your mind and would like restore that content–because starting again from scratch is no fun, at all. After the thirty days are up, the deleted content may remain on our backups and caches until purged.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our website for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, or other profile information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our website–for example, publishing content or participating in contests–may not be accessible to you. If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communication: You may opt out of electronic newsletters and subscriptions by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ button in respective emails.
- Opt-Out of Analytics: You may prevent your data from being used in the website analytics program, currently provided by Google. Simply click this link to download and install the opt-out add-on for your browser.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional or contest-related messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of certain messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: You can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before visiting backpackingseries.com, with the drawback that certain features of the website may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Close Your Account: While we’d be very sad to see you go, if you no longer want to use our website 🙁 🙁 🙁 :(, you can close your backpackingseries.com account by sending us a request for account deletion via email. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above–for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction (except change a username) or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data by sending us a request via email. EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading!)
Services Provided by Others and Embedded Content
How to Reach Us